Oh, let’s talk about Big Sky, Montana! Cushioned in a great mountain valley surrounded by high-altitude peaks and lush forests, Big Sky is famous for being The Biggest Skiing in America. Growth in Big Sky has been on a steady incline over the last several years. With unlimited access to outdoor activities year-round, Big Sky also offers magnificent shopping, fine dining opportunities, arts and culture as well as an abundance of wildlife and some of the most breathtaking views and scenery you’ll ever witness. Take in one of the many all-season cultural events, magnificent skiing or enjoy a zipline thrill! Big Sky Town Center is situated seven miles below renowned Lone Mountain ski resorts of Big Sky Ski Resort, Moonlight Basin and the Yellowstone Club; located less than 50 miles from our nation’s first national park, awe inspiring Yellowstone National Park. Ski big and live big in Big Sky!
Montana State University is as remarkable as its setting. Created as a land-grant institution, it is a welcoming, adventurous community of students, faculty and staff distinguished by its commitment to address the world’s greatest challenges. The university energizes individuals to discover and pursue their aspirations. It inspires people to engage with the university to improve the human prospect through excellence in education, research, creativity and civic responsibility.
Montana State University is in a class of its own. MSU is among the top 3% of colleges and universities for research expenditures, and is also classified by the Carnegie Foundation as an institution with a high undergraduate profile. This means that undergraduates at MSU get research opportunities typically reserved for graduate students at other schools. Plus, MSU’s location at the crossroads between Yellowstone National Park and some of the biggest skiing in America offers students a classroom, lab and playground unlike any in the world.
|Olive B’s Big Sky Bistro||Lotus Pad|
|Horn & Cantle||Bugaboo Cafe|
|Buck’s T-4||The Cabin|
|Gallatin River House Grill||Andiamo Italian|
|Blue Moon Bakery||Ousel & Spur Pizza|
Big Sky Parks & Trails
Big Sky is the home of over two dozen fantastic trails and parks. Trail map can be found here. You will find outdoor activities a-plenty in Big Sky. Minutes from the Yellowstone National Park entrance, West Yellowstone, outdoor life is abundant with discoveries to be made. West Yellowstone is a bustling gateway, to Yellowstone National Park’s West Entrance, packed with dining, shopping, and attractions for travelers including an IMAX theater and the Grizzly & Wolf Discover Center.
Full list of National Forests in Montana
- Beaverhead National Forest
- Bitterroot National Forest
- Custer National Forest
- Deerlodge National Forest
- Flathead National Forest
- Gallatin National Forest (right here in Bozeman)
- Helena National Forest
- Kootenai National Forest
- Lewis and Clark National Forest
- Lolo National Forest
Downhill Skiing, Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing and more!
Big Sky has a large variety of outdoor activities to keep you occupied between phenomenal meals. Everything from skiing, snowshoeing to ice skating, zip lines, horseback riding, sleigh rides, dog sledding and more. VisitBigSkyMT.com has it all for you.
Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey
Want to get to Big Sky but don’t want to drive yourself or need a ride? Well guess what, we’ve got a bus for that! The Skyline Bus offers routes from Bozeman all the way up to Moonlight Basin and Big Sky Resort, Town Center, with multiple stops along the way for you to explore all Big Sky has to offer.
- Best Fishing Town in America: Field & Stream
- Top 25 College & Business Schools: Entrepreneur Magazine
- Top Ski Towns: Skiing Magazine
- Top 40 schools where you can hit the books AND the backcountry: Outside Magazine
- Top Ranked Resorts by Readers: Ski Magazine
- Top 10 Challenging Resorts: Ski Magazine
- Happiest U.S. States: LiveScience
- Fastest Growing Small Towns: Forbes
- World’s Best Ski Towns: National Geographic
- 10 Best Affordable Mountain Towns for Retirement: US News & Money
- Best Small Cities for Art Lovers: NerdWallet
- 10 Best Small Towns in America: Fodor’s Travel
- 50 Top Luxury Real Estate Markets in the USA: Dupont Registry
- Bozeman Ranked #7 out of 551 Micropolitan Areas in the United States for Economic Strength: Policom
- 5 Great College Towns for Winter Enthusiasts: U.S. News
- 2017 Best Places to Live: Niche
- Oscar-Nominated Movies to Inspire Your Next Adventure: National Geographic
- 12 Best Places Where You Can Have a White Christmas: CheapFlights.com
- Best States to Start Your Career and Achieve Happiness: PolicyGenius
- 10 Most Underrated Craft Beer Cities: Webstaurant
- 15 Best Places to Live in the U.S.: Timeout
- Best College Towns to Live In: SmartAsset
- Best College Towns in America: CollegeRank
- 25 Best Small College Towns: Schools.com
- Top 100 Best Places to Live: Livability.com
- Bozeman, MT: Best Places to Live: Livability.com
- Best Colleges for Outdoor Adventures: College Magazine